Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dog Fur Exercise


This is a small colored pencil piece done from an Ann Kullberg kit. I've wanted to learn how to depict fur with colored pencils and this seemed like a better idea than taking an entire class just to learn about fur. She sends out a reference photo, step-by-step instructions on colors to use, blending techniques, and photos taken at 5-6 stages, including the finished drawing. It was a fun little exercise and although my dog's fur doesn't look as fine as her dog's does, I'm fairly pleased. I need to take more time, sharpen my pencils oftener, and start concentrating on individual hairs earlier in the process.

2 comments:

  1. Very well done, Susan. You are quite the patient artist to focus on individual hairs like that. You achieved beautiful results.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I love this piece. The fur is totally believable, as is the wet nose! You have infinitely more patience than me!

    ReplyDelete