Saturday, April 4, 2009

Clockwork - Work in Progress

For some time I've wanted to do a very detailed pen & ink stippled piece of the inner workings of an old pocketwatch. Not having an old pocketwatch around, I pushed it to the back of my mind from where it emerged yesterday with an idea. I Googled antique pocketwatches and found the most amazing site, just filled with gorgeous watches, photographed beautifully. I found several that would work perfectly and, crossing my fingers, emailed the site for permission to use a photograph for the artwork I had in mind. Within an hour I got a "yes" from Stephen Bogoff, the site owner (http://www.bogoff.com/pocket/pocket.html). Thanks, Steve!

Spent quite some time deciding on what kind of format to use, and finally decided square was the only way to go. It means custom matting and framing, but we'll see how it turns out and deal with that when the time comes.

Because the watch is so detailed, there was no way I could free-hand it, so enlarging and tracing was mandatory. Took about 1-1/2 hours to do, with another hour today tweaking the outside circle and getting ready to start stippling. (The black/white photo of the watch and my tracing.) It's going to be 10"x10"

No comments:

Post a Comment